In the Tennesseean today, Elsie Quarterman (1910 – 2014)
Elsie Quarterman, Nashville, TN
A Memorial service will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday, June 21, 2014 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3900 West End Avenue, with a reception at the church following the service. Guestbook crawfordservices.com.
Crawford Mortuary & Crematory, 615-254-8200.
Dr. Elsie Quarterman, November 28th 1910 — June 9th 2014
Today Aunt Elsie stepped over the final fence, dying peacefully at her home in Nashville, Tennessee, attended by her nephew Patrick and his wife Ann, as she had wanted.
A Memorial Service will be held at 10am, Saturday, June 21, 2014 at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 3900 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN with a reception at the church following the service. Elsie said many times that she greatly appreciated the way many different groups mingled to work to preserve, protect, and enjoy plants and the environment they are part of. The family hopes that the service and reception will continue that mingling which she so enjoyed.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests to donate, in her memory, to groups and organizations such as:
- Friends of Radnor Lake, P.O. Box 40324, Nashville, TN 37204, 615-251-1471, http://radnorlake.org
- MTSU Center for Cedar Glade Studies, P.O. Box 60, Murfreesboro, TN 37132, 615-904-8283, http://www.mtsu.edu/glade-center/
- Cheekwood Botanical Garden & Museum of Art, 1200 Forrest Park Drive, Nashville, TN 37205, 615-356-8000, http://www.cheekwood.org/Home.aspx
- The Nature Conservancy, Tennessee Field Office, 2021 21st Ave South, Suite C-400, Nashville, TN 37212, 615-383-9909, http://www.nature.org/
- Friends of Warner Parks, 50 Vaughn Road, Nashville, TN 37221, 615-370-8053, http://www.friendsofwarnerparks.com/
or any other group dedicated to enjoying and preserving plants and their environment.
Dr. Quarterman was born in Valdosta, Ga, to David Sinclair Quarterman and Alla Irene Peek. She was predeceased by her parents and her elder sister Jane Quarterman Comer (Walter) of Moultrie, GA, and her brother David Sinclair Quarterman Jr. (Laura) of Hahira, Ga. She is survived by her nephews Stephen Patrick Quarterman (Ann) of Nashville, TN, David Leon Quarterman (Cathy) of Hahira, GA, and John Sinclair Quarterman (Gretchen) of Hahira, GA; grand nephew David Nicholas Quarterman of Nashville, TN; grand niece Margaret Campbell Quarterman Stewart (Garner) of Richmond, VA; great grand niece Margaret Sinclair Hamilton Stewart of Richmond, VA; first cousin Peter Clark Quarterman Jr (Muriel) of Quitman, GA; step grand nephews Wesley James Linton Jr of Nashville, TN, John Alexander Linton (Misty), of Hermitage, TN, and Adam Lawrence Linton (Latoya) of Nashville, TN; and step grand nieces Lindsey Jane Phillips Williams (Roy) of Partlow, VA, and Mallory Kaye Phillips Breingan (Gil) of Media, PA; step great grand niece Channing Nicole Linton of Hermitage, TN, and cousins.
See the Elsie blog page for many more stories and pictures of Aunt Elsie.